Figure 1-7. Collision avoidance, both in the air and on the ground, is one of the most basic responsibilities of a pilot flying in visual conditions.
- Most of the aircraft involved in collisions are engaged in recreational flying, and not on any type of flight plan.
- Most midair collisions occur in VFR weather conditions during weekend daylight hours.
- The vast majority of accidents occurred at or near no towered airports and at altitudes below 1,000 feet.
- Pilots of all experience levels were involved in midair collisions, from pilots on their first solo ride to 20,000-hour veterans.
- Most collisions occur in daylight with visibility greater than three miles.